View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 PM
katesnanna

When you say you were careful with your seam allowance, did you butt your fabric right up to the bar on your 1/4" foot ( if you used one). I wish manufacturers would explain when they sell this particular foot that it is the full 1/4" and that the buyer would need to make adjustments for the scant 1/4". After all aren't these specialized feet for quilters? You are very smart to try the block on scrap fabric but I'd love to play in your scraps if the fabrics are as pretty as these. When we sew there is a little take up on the underside fabric, hence we put any longer piece on the under side to take up that bit extra. Applies to garment sewing as well as quilting. Sewing alternate rows in the opposite direction help too. Try measuring each strip before you sew it to the next. Easier to adjust on each strip than the whole quilt.
Take your sample to LQS next visit and ask the people there for their advice. You also have quite a lot of biased edges and they can stretch so easily.
Check all these things but promise me one thing, "that you won't give in" ever. I don't think you have too much to worry about as your block looks pretty good to me. Happy quilting.

PS. Forgot to say that the word fudging is important too. I won't fudge over 1/8" though. This is where it pays to put longer piece on the underside.

Last edited by katesnanna; 04-15-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added info.