View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM
lonestardreams

This is in a pattern I bought-

"All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be stored in any retrieval system, or reproduced mechanically, electronically, or by any other means, including photocopying, without prior written permission from _________. This pattern is for personal, non commercial use of the retail customer only. Quilts made from this pattern are protected by Federal Copyright Law and may not be made for resale or commercial use in any form without prior written consent from ___________. Quilt classes based on this pattern must require each student to purchase their own book. It is illegal for quilt teachers to copy or rewrite these instructions in any way for distribution to students."

I've thought that this is excessive. While I will likely never get beyond beginner in my quilting, it seems absurd that someone can tell you what you can do with a quilt that you made. If that's the case, then this person owns, my fabric, time and hours on my machine.

I could never sell anything that I make. I'm certainly not good enough for that but really? And still more odd, since then, I have seen other patterns for sale that look like the pattern I bought with that statement in it.

Just for me now, I look at these things before I buy a pattern. What happens if you give the quilt to someone and they sell it? What a mess. I would think a designer would want the quilts made from their patterns be sold or given away to help create interest in their work. It seems beyond greedy and I won't buy this designer's patterns again.

This is a great place for information exchange. And sorry for such a long post.