View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM
motomom

Well, back in, oh, 1983 or so, I bought a Pfaff synchrotronic 1229 on sale at a local shop for $750. A huge amount of money for me at the time, but I was at home with 4 kids and sewing most of their clothing. Since I had 2 boys, and we lived in Rhode Island, I was using lots of corduroy. The guy let me take it home to try it out, and when I had it at home, I kept doubling layers of corduroy till I had to cram the layers underneath the presser foot. It sewed through all of them without a hitch, so I decided the next day to buy it.

When I went back to pay for it, and told the dude about my test, he told me, "well if I had known you were going to do that I wouldn't have sent it home with you!"

My Pfaff was on sale because they were just starting to come out with rudimentary computer electronics, and mine was outdated. Which suited me fine, because I didn't want fancy, I wanted tough. My machine has lots of special stitches, and I never used any of them except the blindstitch hem.

I still have that machine, and it is a workhorse. I use it almost every day, and I have sewn countless suits, short sets, prom dresses, wedding gowns, and now quilts. I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I am considering finding another used one to keep on hand for parts in case mine breaks down.

But, no, even though it was so much money at the time, I never regretted it. Not for a minute.