Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 AM
CindyA

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
Is EPP where you do a 'whipstitch' for the seams holding right sides together and having paper basted to the wrong side of the two pieces - with the paper ending at the seam line?? I know this is what you do with hexagons and grandmothers flower garden. In my very first quilt class - back in 1978 - Judy Mathieson taught this method in a quilt sampler class!Gus
Yes, Gus, that is EPP. I cut a regular piece of typing paper (oops, I guess I just showed my age there
) exactly the size you want the piece to be. Then you cut a piece of fabric, eyeballing a little wider than 1/4" seam allowance. Then finger fold the fabric over the edge of the paper and actually baste the fabric onto the paper. Then, with wrong sides together, whip stitch seams between two of the pieces. I found a tutorial on youtube, there should be plenty there if anyone googles for it.

TymeToShine - I guess I did both EPP AND applique for the melons! I prepared the melons the same as EPP but then appliqued them onto the white. It worked pretty well. It took less prep than one of my favorite methods with liquid starch and I'm happy with the results.

Gus, you're so right about checking seams. On one of my recent blocks I added about 1/8" extra on all the pieces because my blocks kept coming out just a little smaller than the size I want them to be. Well, unfortunately, that made the block significantly larger. Every little bit adds up (or decreases) the final size!

Last edited by CindyA; 04-17-2012 at 02:26 AM.