View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

I served on a jury (still don't know if I was a regular or alternate) for an asbestos case (years ago). I think we were paid about $15 a day and maybe $0.15 per mile for mileage.

The county selects us - I'm not sure what the method is.

It seemed like there was a lot of hurry up and wait. Plus it seemed so choreographed - and one couldn't ask the questions that I thought I should have been asked - (I think I fell asleep a couple of time)

It turned out that the case was settled out of court and we weren't told the results. The judge seemed pretty down to earth and considerate of the jurors.

I was surprised I was selected - maybe because it was at the end of the day and there weren't many people left to choose from - one of the questions asked was how I felt about smoking - and I told them that I thought smoking could exacerbate a condition - and I also told them that I felt that just because something was "legal", that didn't necessarily make it "right"

I think using the word "exacerbate" spoiled my hayseed country hick image. Which expression I find offensive, by the way. Why? Because people have to have "smarts" to survive in whatever environment they are in. I have no street smarts whatsoever, but I do know where the milk comes out of a cow. (Although I was pretty old before I realized a cow had to have a calf before she would produce milk)

I've often wondered how much information/facts a jury actually gets to make a really informed decision.

I found that my butt got tired, my back bothered me, my feet got antsy, and I had a hard time staying awake.