Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy,

I have no idea what weight thread it is. I have the spool in front of me and it does not say in any form I recognize.
Here's what is on the spool:
Small end:
T = SULKY
L = 100% Viskose
1500y/1370m
R = Germany
01/2
B = 01010650710111

Large end:
SULKY
Made in Germany
~bar code xxxxxxxxx
944-1065
100% VISCOSE 01/2
CA45688

I know, you didn't ask for all this, but if you can tell from any of this what weight thread this is, please tell me so I'll know too.

One of the reasons the thread might have looked larger is she had the stitch length well into the "FINE" section of the machine. That's where you make satin stitches. At that point the feed dogs move the fabric very little each cycle making for a nicely formed pattern.

If you are going to try to do this make sure your machine has the presser foot clearance and the power to run slow over hard terrain.

Joe
Joe, thread weight is just the opposite of needle size. The smaller the number in thread weight, the heavier the thread. Whereas in needle size the smaller the number, the finer the needle. Isacord,in my opinion, is the best embroidery thread out there - it is a 40 weight - a little heavier than regular cotton piecing thread, which is usually a 50 weight. Some of the bobbin threads are 60 or even 70 weight, which is a really fine thread. For regular sewing, most people all use all cotton 50 weight thread, or 50 weight poly thread. I only use poly thread when I am doing garments, never on quilts because I only quilt with very good quality cotton quilting fabric.

Anyway, probably more than you want to know. I think the Viscose is a 40 wt also. I have Gutermann Viscose, which also doesn't say the thread weight, but it looks and feels like the Isacord - which is a 40 weight.

Nancy