View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM
12yearrquilt

I am a beginning quilter, and joined a local quilt guild. I signed up for the "mystery quilt" bought the fabrid called for, wahed it, and it shrunk. Thought it was because i bought bafgain fabric: went to quilt store and bought it again. it is in the machine now. Hope it doesn't shrink. I did buy more than was called for. Many years ago, I made most of my and childrens clothes--also husbabnds shirts. Always had enough fabric just buying what was called for. I can't imagine sewing and not washing first, but some do not wash I am told. Why? dont they have problems with shrinking and/or colors running?

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
OK, I hate to bring up the wash/not wash issue again, but... I always prewashed. After joining this board and reading that many do not, I started to measure my fabric before & after washing. I found everything I washed measured the same before and after. 1 yard in, 1 yard out, 4 yards in, 4 yards out etc. I always washed the entire yardage I bought. So I was starting to think I was wasting my time & energy and was going to stop. About a month ago, I got a deal at my LQS and bought most of a bolt. I only needed a yard, so I cut a yard and washed it. It had a bit of metallic, and i wanted to see if it dulled, so I laid it on the uncut portion. To my amazement, it shrunk 2" WOF. I never measured this! Since then I've started taking this measurement too and I have found that EVERYTHING (except batiks) I've washed shrinks WOF. LQS brands, WallMart, JoAnn everything. I think I would be OK if the shrinkage were the same in both directions, but not in one direction only. Anyone else notice this?