View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Living with a Saint Bernard I have ...well issues. I use a slightly damp terry wash cloth to first get the big stuff off. I Wipe the item with the damp cloth. Then if I have moistened the item I let it dry then use the tape roller to remove any remaining hair.
This is my routine as well. Up until February I had 4 longhaired cats, (unfortunately one passed away unexpectedly ) a short haired cat and a long haired dog. The cats are the primary offenders as the dog isn't allowed up on furniture so her hair doesn't seem to get on them as much. The damp wash cloth then the sticky tape roller work well for me too. But it is an ongoing process. When I am handquilting a quilt I go through the dehairing process everytime I move my hoop then I do a final big one. Oh and one more thing I use in my final dehair is contact paper. The stuff you line cupboard shelves with. You can find it Walmart, usually in the housewares section. It is super sticky and is like 24" wide. I usually bring my quilt to work and use the conference room table on my lunch hour. I spread the quilt out over the huge meeting table and cut off sections of the contact shelf paper large enough that I can handle. I put it sticky side against the quilt, smooth it out with my hands and peel off. Repeat as necessary. I do this AFTER washing the quilt once it is completed. I only go through this process for quilts I have handquilted that I am gifting or showing. The ones I longarm don't get as hairy because my LA studio is forbidden to all of my 4 footed furry kids.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad stretch there. Hopefully you are well on your way to being on the mend and ok.