View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by mmb195152 View Post
I am trying to figure out if I want to do embroidery, to invest in a machine, etc. I have a couple questions: Can a person set an embroidery pattern up, and use the stitching in such a way that instead of embroidery, it will quilt my project? Is that practical?

Will my initial investment in a machine continue on and on with special thread, and other things that I will need? Finances are a concern.
A lot of people quilt with their embroidery machines. I have a baby quilt for my granddaughter; a 3D pinwheel that I've stitched in the ditch with and now I'm going to embroidery some designs on just to give it some added interest plus help make sure its more durable. A lot of web sites sell quilting designs and some people make their own. I'm just getting into it but you can do so much. My best advice is to check out several ones (I love my Viking Ruby) before you decide. I got mine slightly used (only 7hrs, your machine keeps track) from a dealer and get lots of support and monthly lessons. We've done coin purses with a zipper and key holder on it; all in the hoop, I learned how to make greeting cards for Christmas and ornaments and wall hangings. This month we are making the market baskets. We are taking the rectangled type baskets with double metal handles on them and embroidering designs and or our names on the sides. I'm excited how that will work out. Next month she's doing a special class for making a table runner using the cutwork needles. There is just so much to do. If you check out some emboridery sites; like emblibary.com and look under the project and the stitchers showcase to see some of the things that can be done it's really cool. Good luck on your descision. I'm really happy that I got mine. Even if you decide to get a used one you can still take the classes; I know that our LQS only charges 40 a yr and the monthly cost for supplies.