Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 AM
mhollifiel

Default Piecing: Strictly by a Pattern OR Pattern Improv OR Wild Abandon!

I have shelves full of books and end tables full of magazines. I have files full of patterns printed and purchased. I can't remember when I have duplicated a single one! Since I piece tops for Project Linus, I have not strictly followed a pattern in the last three years. I am putting together anywhere from 4 to 20 PL tops each month. I fall in the middle Improv category. My resources are used for ideas on how to utilize my stash. Of course, my results go from great to "just covers" but I am having a ball!

Sometimes I feel guilty for not following some of those beautiful patterns I am using for inspiration to the letter as they are so wonderful. In the picture section here I adore all those tailored looking, by-the-book quilts others have made but when I get going, other ideas seem to take over. Sometimes I stay "fairly close" to the pattern that inspired the top I am piecing. Potato Chip and Disappearing 9 Patch come to mind. Other times I wonder what (in the world!) got this top going. Of course, I adore scrappy but I have not done wonky. . . YET!

So, am I alone in this? What kind of piecer are you? And, if you're like me, do you also feel guilty for all your purchased inspiration and not following patterns to the letter?