Thread: Baby Fever
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 PM
flhomeschoolmom

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
Well, $20 for a handmade outfit is very reasonable I think. When you consider the fabric and supplies, the time it takes to cut and sew, if you sold it for less than that, you'd be lucky to make minimum wage.
I'm not saying that it's unreasonable to pay $20 for a handmade outfit. However, when you live in a small farming community it's a long drive to a cute little baby boutique. And, since this is child number 3 that my SIL will be raising (she has a 15 yr. old son, 10 yr. old daughter, and this baby is due in June), she simply doesn't have the extra money to splurge on boutique clothes. And she does end up with a lot of items that her older children can no longer wear. And I end up with a lot of items that my children can no longer wear. My MIL wants her shed cleaned out of all of the clothing that isn't hers, can anyone say TONS of free material.

I figued that I would stitch up some of the easy, cute items from things I have on hand. And if I REALLY enjoy making the clothes, then perhaps a "baby boutique" will open up in the middle of a small farming community when I get a little better at my own patterns for more than just quilts. Hmm...work at home job. Our town has "Town Square Day" once a month and people set up booths to sell things they grow or make. Sort of like a gigantic yardsale.