Thread: Color Run
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
Hi, Everyone,
I recently used a little bit of Oxy-Clean on a quilt to remove quilting marks. Even though I had washed all fabrics previously, one of the colors ran onto my white squares. Does anyone have any tips as to how to get rid of the color run?
As you discovered, pre-washing does not necessarily stabilize the dye on its own. You need to check as you wash, and not just as a visual check of the water. Dr. Beckmann's and Dirt Collectors has become my Quality Check. And if not, then treat with Retayne ... until I feel that all is safe and still!

Dr. Beckmann's also has a product called Colour Run Repair which says it "restores dyte stained clothes. I have never used them, but being happy with their other product, I'd give it a try.

As a further FYI ... there have been fabrics and colours that I never would have thought that were bleeders. Further, in checking the water, it looked clear. However, I was *shocked* when I looked at the Dr. B sheet to see all the colour on it. Some stopped with the first hot water wash. Some with the first Retayne treatment. And some have taken more than one!

For those that feel "safe" with no washing or one pre-washing ... I challenge you to start using Dr. Beckmann's, Shout Colour Catchers, or whatever equivalent products you can acces.. I'm sure you'll get some surprises, as I did!