View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Leota

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I bought a Brother SE400 from Amazon. It's a combination embroidery/sewing machine and it was on sale. I called a local sewing shop about classes and told them my machine. The woman commented about my machine being mass produced (isn't everything mass produced) so they don't sell the machine and I would have to pay $50 for the class. No problem and I attended the class today. My machine was the simplest one there and the only one a combination machine. During the class again it was mentioned about mass produced vs dealer. What's the difference and is there an "attitude" about buying machines online or at stores other than sewing stores?
It doesn't have to be a dealer to have an "attitude" about machines... owners can also have "attitudes" ... When I bought my first Viking, 32 years ago, it was not top of the line but the fact that it was a "Viking" put me in a higher standing with other seamstresses... yeah... just owning a Viking was a status symbol... so stupid. I just wanted a good machine and after trying several different brands over the course of about 2 years (I had my Featherweight that I got at age 12) so I wasn't in a huge hurry, I decided to go with the machine I'm still sewing on. Oh and I still sew with my little 1932 Featherweight ...

Last edited by Leota; 04-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.