View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 03:15 PM
NJ Quilter

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
it depends on the pattern/seam i am working on- if i want my seams to 'nest' i press so they will- often this does mean toward the dark-but not always- if dealing with lots of bulk- pressing open at times is the better way to go-
there are no -- hard rules---you press the way it works for what you are working on- some patterns tell you which way is best for your pattern- sometimes you have to figure out for yourself what is the best.---no reason for any 'conflict'
I, too, agree with this completely. That said, I am a mostly self-taught quilter coming from a home dec/garment sewing background. I quickly got frustrated that seams did not 'nest' nicely when following the 'dark' rule of thumb that I started pressing open almost exclusively. I hand quilt. Open works much better for me when quilting and I've yet to hear of anyone that I've given a quilt to having an issue with seams not holding up. I go back to the garment background. Most garment seams are/were pressed open and they didn't seem to have issues.