View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
We've heard - over and over - that there is usually more than one way to do many things.

And I agree.

But why get upset if an instructor only demonstrates one way of accomplishing something?

Most classes have time constraints on them.

Sometimes it's a challenge to just get one idea across - forget about variations on a theme.

I would think it would be easier to try to keep a group "on track" if most of the members are doing the same thing more-or-less the same way at the same time.

I read over and over about "poor teachers/instructors" - but the student/learner/tutee has to do his/her part, also, to make a class successful or a learning experience positive.

(I'm not an instructor - but I have had some obnoxious/disruptive/unprepared classmates now and then)
Thank you!! As an instructor, I DO thank you!
Yes, I do know about the other ways, but have chosen, for whatever reason, for THIS class, not to use/teach/demonstrate them. It does not make me dumb/poor/unskilled/or inexperienced, just selective/time-crunched/and assessing of the personality of the current class.
YOU would be a favorite pupil in my class! (Though I would hope the others never realized it)

Jan in VA