View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 04:49 AM
irishphoenix

Hi there Visqt- I am so sorry I havent replied before now but was unwell for the last week and its only taken me till now to get back on the computer.
Thankyou so much for all your good advice. Yes I cut one length the width of the square, and then I cut the square from that and then two cuts to make four triangles. I do a corner triangle like you suggested, just one diagonal cut. I didnt know about measureing from the centre of my quilt though. I just followed the patterns and cut the outside edge from their measurements. I didnt know about ironing the outside edge strips though. Many many thanks for taking the time to go through the cutting of the triangles and the borders. Thankyou so much, I really appreciate it
Thanks also everyone for your support- it's what keeps me going especially when I have a quilt disaster and things are not going as well as I would like- I just have to come on here and talk to you all!
And yes I will still keep hinting for the GD or GS-Thanks!!

Originally Posted by vivsqt View Post
I have taught many quilting classes on this very subject. When you cut your triangles out, did you cut one large square then cut that into quarters, corner to corner. That would give you a straight of grain edge on the outside of the triangles. Your corner triangles are cut from one large square and then cut once in half from corner to corner, which will give you a straight of grain on the outside edges. After piecing your top together always measure down the center of the quilt from top to bottom to get your measurement and across the center from side to side to get your measurement. Sometimes that number is smaller than your outer edge of your quilt. If your quilt edge measurement is not too much larger then try to ease the quilt top into that border measurement to keep your quilt square. Before applying your borders, cut how many border strips are required for your quilt top, sew the strips together as needed for each side of your quilt, then before you cut your strips to size, press them with an iron, then cut your border strips to your measurement. Remember to measure the opposite borders after the first set of borders have been appplied. Meaning some like to put the top and bottom borders on first and some like to put the side borders on first. After the first set of borders have been applied then measure down or across (which ever applies) the center of the quilt to get your next border measurement. Do these steps with each border applied to your quilt top. I hope this makes sense. Good Luck!

Last edited by irishphoenix; 04-21-2012 at 04:52 AM.