Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
I don't know if I'm typical, but I have never purchased complete lines of fabric for a quilt. I prefer to rely on my own instincts to "pull" many different fabrics together.
Ditto. I never buy from just one fabric line. I am also very price conscious. Yet I manage to buy lots of beautiful, quality fabric that somehow goes together. When I started quilting, selecting the fabric was the very hardest part of making a quilt, and I dreaded it. Now it's the most fun part, though it still takes some time (and I enjoy spending that time). I pull almost all the fabric from my stash, somehow using all those odd pieces that I find at a bargain.

To me, $5-6 is still too much for the discontinued fabric. I can find it on ebay for $3 or at other sites for $4. I also support my closest LQS, but her fabric is all priced at $6. She doesn't have a high turnover, so some of the fabric is not the very latest, but some of it is, and all of it is beautiful.

I have trouble finding good neutrals and lights on sale. I think they sell out when they first hit the stores.