View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judee0624
Many years ago I served on a jury for about three days. I was very happy it was short and we did a good service to the defendant. He was an immigrant from Central America who had been accused of assaulting a police officer. BUT, that officer had entered the home and pushed his way around without backup and for no good reason. Talk about terrifying the immigrant. We found him not guilty. The officer didn't even wear a uniform to court. I didn't know until after that there had been a problem with some officers in that community. So I was glad we did what we had to to get that guy justice.
Other than that, most times I have been called, I get a lot of reading done. A couple of years ago I came way too close to being on a very long (think months) multiple murder trial. Fortunately, they excused me. I couldn't understand why the guy was on trial when he had confessed and was in jail. My cousin is a Superior Court judge in another state and says it is hard to get good citizens to serve on juries.
Pay? When I was working, we got paid for jury duty but the county only pays something like $5 a day plus mileage after the first day.

judee
You've really got my attention on this one, judee, bc I thought, even in self defense or whatever, that if you struck a police officer, you were automatically guilty by law.
Don't get me wrong, I think even professionals have to have a protocol. We can not give ANYONE, absolute across the board, power, to do as they please.
Its comforting to know, these cases we have heard about on the 6 o'clock news, or such, of the FBI or the IRS, just busting down granny and gramps door during dinner, or whatever, can be unlawful and ppl can do something about it.