View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 AM
mjmarsh

Definitely a Ricky Tims look - Beautiful color and movement!! I love the quilting she did - very simple (radiating lines) that promote the movement of the applique.

The topic of over quilting has become bigger over the last few years especially with the advancement of the longarm machines and addition of computerized systems - When quilting myself, I can get carried away but have learned to ask what the quilt is for. Just asking that question helps me keep the amount and style of quilting in line. If I am doing a single design for a pillow top that I want to stand out, you can bet that the background will be heavily quilted in some way so that the design pops - will do faux trapunto over the real trapunto. If it is a cute little baby quilt I will select designs that provide even overall quilting that will stand up to lots of washings. I love seeing the over-the-top quilts at shows. Quilting has become such a beautiful art form. The thread painting done on the longarm by Sue Paton is breathtaking, the tiny, perfectly shaped feathers on some quilts are to die for, the perfectly stitched lines that are no more than 1/8" apart are amazing. I think it is so fantastic that the variety of quilting is there for us to enjoy and drool over.