View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Bicycle Hobo

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo View Post
I do my own quilting. I had one that I sent to be done by a LA quilter. She told me how much she charged per square inch I needed it for gift so I had her do it. I figured how much it would be and was SHOCKED when she called me to come pick it up and gave me her price. I was charged for things I didn't even know what it was . Never again! I can't afford to buy fabric and pay LA quilter prices. I agree that they look much more elegant than mine but we all have to do what we have to.
Quilting is supposed to be a-shall we say-a frugal art-form that has a very important utility function (keeping warm at night) built right in. Farming out my quilts would be counterproductive in that regard. I know prices are shooting up for every aspect of quiltmaking/sewing. But I design my quilts myself and only select finishing techniques that I can do at home-rag quilting, tying, machine/handwork of a simple nature, etc. "Fancy work" is limited to piecing patchwork, applique techniques, and machine sewing that I do myself here at my own home with my simple mechanical sewing machines. I know my methods are not very high end, fancy, lady-like quilt shops, or suitable for magazine layouts/quilt shows. The quilts & blankets are probably just a durable (perhaps more so) and convey something of myself. That is enough for me.
Attached Thumbnails 7092389599_e36290950f.jpg   7092387717_b842ed7fa3.jpg   7092386809_9143039aef_b.jpg   6943505920_45138e47b6.jpg  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 04-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.