View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
charity-crafter

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
South Carolina used to have a jillion places you could buy fabric by the pound...and I loved them! But...they all phased out about the same time (20 or so years ago)
I had a cousin who worked in the mills in that area years ago. She'd buy 50 # bundles of mill ends and send it to my aunts who quilted. She'd get it super cheap. I never knew you could actually buy big pieces of fabric until I got out of high school...because they taught me how to quilt and I'd help them with their work-they sold their quilts locally. All the backs were pieced from the mill ends, they were just as pretty as the tops.

I was at a junk store once that sold fabric like that by the pounds. There was scale set up and you'd bag and weigh your fabric scraps. But you didn't know what the content was and I didn't think they'd appreciate me doing the burn test back in the corner of the store.

I'd be afraid to actually start of business like that myself. But if you already had a business that you could add a corner of fabric to-it would be a fun experiment.

Last edited by charity-crafter; 04-23-2012 at 08:26 AM.