View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Discuss the wash the fabrics before cutting or not to wash them issue - perhaps show some washed and unwashed - discuss the why or why not to wash- - -

Discuss fabric - how it's made - terminology - selvages, grains, bias, - show/compare different types/kinds of fabrics - we are exposed to many types of fabric, but few of us know what the various types are - knits (which can vary from zero stretch to lots of stretch) - different types of weaves - denim/twill weave vs. a "regular" weave, etc.

It's a bit difficult to condense years of knowledge and learning into a few hours.

Maybe a list of books that are especially helpful - Quilts! Quilts! Quilts! is on my list - that one can refer to

A few good tools are better than a bunch of junky ones. Perhaps a reminder that "in olden times" people made lovely quilts by hand with very few of the tools/toys that we have now.

I grew up in an era where home ec was still taught in school - and the women all sewed -

Now it seems that for some people the whole thing is completely "new" - and it is necessary to learn "from the very beginning" - think of it the same way little kids learn arithmetic.

By the way, my grandkids made paper quilt "blocks" when they were in second grade. The kids did a good job.

Last edited by bearisgray; 04-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.