Thread: Etsy??
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Bicycle Hobo

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
How much is it to get your own website? Is it hard to set up?
I too have looked at Etsy and think the prices are high, although I do understand the work that goes into things.
I traveled the craft show circuit for 17 years, and it has pretty well bottomed out due to the imports and economy. People think of them like a flea market and are always looking for a bargain..To make money you need to invest in the bigger juried shows, and then it is even hard to make back expenses.
I just went out on disability and have been researching ways to supplement my income. Another venue I am in the process of researching is amazon.
Good luck and keep us up to date if you find anything good, and I will do the same!!
I would like to clarify that many-most people are now in "bargain" mode plus being bombarded and raised up to the expectation of big box stores pricing that it spills out to every other vendor-including the home based or even small studio sewer/crafter/quilter. With the prices shooting ever upwards the constant wear and tear of bargain haggling , I noticed a great number of closed shops or Websites within the Etsy & Artfire communities. While there are many more anxious people to take their place, I decided that the "Bicycle Hobo" (the actual name of my design line) would be better served to wait this out.

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I had an Etsy site for a year and didn't have one sale...needless to say, I wouldn't be one to ask about how effective it is as a sales venue...
You forgot to mention all those tacked-on fees (Listing fee, Transaction fee, Advertising fees, Payment processing fees, Currency conversion) that one would be required to pay mostly whether or not you have an actual sale. Your dream of being a vendor actually morphs into someone else making money off you. Plus you are far more poorer for it than when you began.

Originally Posted by mucky View Post
I sell a few items a year but listing is very inexpensive and better tha nothing. Had a quilt on for 3 years. Traduced the price $50 each year and it finally sold.
Our ancestors had a word for this. Slave labor. I decided to pass until people come to their senses and stop trying to bargain everyone in the chain to death.

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 04-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.