View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM
IT_Nana

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I would highly recommend using a lightweight fusible interfacing on the knits. Pellon makes several weights. It is a bit challenging when sewing the cotton to the knit then pressing the seam flat but it can be done. Be careful with the blends, sometimes the high heat from your iron will "glaze" or even start to melt them. Using a pressing cloth, such as a piece of muslin will help to protect them.

I think your friends daughter will love and cherish this quilt no matter what you do so don't fret too much about the stripes not lining up or being straight. I think that adds visual interest. Spend some time browsing Kaffe Fassets patchwork gallery, he does such fun stuff with stripes.

http://www.kaffefassett.com/Patchwork.html
That's a great website. Thanks for suggesting it. And you are right ... I'm sure my late friend's daughter will love whatever we put together. She knows absolutely nothing about quilting or fabric... as evidenced by some of the sweaters and silk shirts she included in the bag. ;-} I'm looking upon this as a tribute to her mother and I'm putting more pressure on myself that anyone else is!