Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 PM
WeebleSue

Question Newbie Questions - T-shirt quilt beginnings

Hi there. I am new to fabric quilting. I am an experienced sewer, but have not made a sewn quilt before. I have crocheted afghans and sewed drapes so I'm familiar with handling large pieces.

So I am embarking on my very first quilt, a t-shirt quilt. I have 42 - 14" finished size blocks (15" unsewn). I have the 7 columns sewn and am just about ready to sew the columns together. But I have some questions.

First, I have sewed a straight seam to join the shirts. I have not finished the seam or zigzagged. I have Pellon interfacing on the back of the t-shirts, so they should be okay. My question is - is a plain straight seam okay?

Next, before I sew the columns together, do I need to press the seams open? Or press them toward one way or another? My shirt layout is light/dark/light/dark. I do not have any sashing; the shirts will just be stitched to each other. But in general, do you press your quilt seams - and if so, press open or toward dark fabric?

And finally, I have a large amount of fabric scraps that I intend to piece together as backing. I mean 2 or 3 yards of this color or that. They are all plain cotton pieces of various colors. I need to use them up, and think that this would be a great way to use it. This isn't going to be a pro quilt or anything, just my own blanket. How bad an idea is this really? If I can piece together the top, why couldn't I piece together the bottom too?

Many thanks in advance. Sorry for such basic questions!
Susan