View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM
seasaw2mch

Thanks for all that interesting info. it sure makes lite of all the ugliness that has surrounded that symbol. I love to be educated about things like this because it gives a whole new meaning to things we were never taught in school or growing up.

Originally Posted by Dae Kuczma View Post
I have to tell you I was very excited to see this quilt pattern as my parents had one as well! After many years of raising a family, I decided to go back to college. Needless to say, HISTORY became my major. One of my areas of concentration was the Civil War/WWI/WWII era. One required course dealt with Nazi Germany. So, to make the class interesting for my fellow students, I carried my parents "red and white" quilt in to my professor for a bit of "show-n-tell. Well, I was thrilled with the response. My professor told me I should take the quilt to our research center where there was another professor of history that knew quilts. Of course, the quilt made a huge appearance! I was amazed to find out that even though it was referred to as a "Nazi" quilt, it was an American quilt design made from an Indian pattern used long before it became a "Nazi" emblem. This pattern was used during the 1800s to signify agriculture! Interesting, huh? Just thought you might like to know...........thank you for sharing the photos! I hope I was able to shed some light on your family heirloom.