View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by jem39 View Post
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to edit my first posting to delete the attachment - redundant.

Nita in COOL Florida
Very nice quilt. If you go to emblibrary.com and I know that Viking both have alot on the best stablizers to use for different projects. They've actually tested them and sometimes show you the results of the test. The one thing that I have learned is that the sharp needles work best for FSL and heavy water stablizer. I save my scraps of stablizer and then when I need to double the thickness or do a repair on the stablizer while in the hoop; I spray a little of JT Spray adhesive (from Walmarts) and attach it. Works great and it helps save on stablizer cost. I've been doing FSL and wanted to use the cone thread since I didn't need it to have that shine that rayon has so after a lot of frustration and thread breaking I use a 14sharp needle with the Ultra Solvy water soluable stabilzer and then set my machine to go slower as an added measure of success. It turns out great and it is a lot cheaper to use that thread for things like that. I'm getting ready to make some battenburg lace doilies for my friend and I'll use that type of thread which will also hold up better. A month ago I wouldn't have done it because it was so frustrating. I'm new as well and I have taken a few classes from my LQS but such a long way to go. Any of you who are live close to Raleigh NC, they are having a sewing/quilting expo in June and they have some embroidery classes that sound like a good thing to have. I'm taking mostly quilting because now that my piecing is doing fairly well I want to start the quilting/binding process. I do plan on doing at least one embroidery class and hopefully 2; they have them on the software part as well. Check out some of the sites for info on the stablizers; it helped me alot.