Thread: My quilts :)
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
allisonirons

Originally Posted by dunster
Wow, great quilts! I popped out of my chair when I saw the first one. What a wonderful, bright set of colors, and so beautifully put together.

I didn't realize you could use batiks in a rag quilt. Do they "rag" okay? I thought the weave would be too tight.
GOOD question!!!! After that quilt I made for my sister's birthday my mom decided she liked batiks and I sadly explained to her that I could not make her a batik rag quilt. You have to use a certain type of fabric to rag it right? Well then I thought okay, I'll just have the cotton batik on the top layer and flannel or homespun for the batting and backing.... and then I figured that the textures in that quilt would just be off...

so then I was up in Michigan's Upper Penninsula on our anniversary vacation & I found this quaint little quilt shop in Paradise, MI (Near Tahquamenon Falls) and they had a whole WALL full of bolts and bolts of batik flannel! I couldn't believe it!! Our anniversary is Nov 17 so I didn't have much time to buy the fabrics and make up a quilt before Christmas! But I got all the colors that she would love...

Here's a link to a video of my mom opening the quilt :
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=MOV09585.flv