View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by pacquilter View Post
I have a question: How do you cross over from giving quilts to selling them?
I've had people for years telling me that I should sell my quilts, but I've never been able to go there. There are several reasons for this:
It might sound crazy, but I can't seem to disconnect from my quilts unless I give them to someone I know and care about, or give them up for some kind of charity or worthy cause.
Another reason I don't sell is that I just don't know if I could get enough money to make it worth all the time, sweat and materials that go into making one. If I charged by the hour, we would be up in the thousands. (What my first grade teacher wrote on my report card is still true today, "she's slow, but thorough")
The other thing I'm wondering is that if you do it as a job, does it take the fun out of it? Or, on the other hand, is it great making money at something you enjoy?
I'm trying to get my head around this and be open to some new possibilities, as it sure would be nice to make some extra money, (if only to be able to continue my addiction.) But, I do wonder if some people are cut out for selling and others aren't.
Any and all points of view appreciated!

I'm a rank amateur compared to most quilters here, but I'll guarantee you one thing------------------I'd never take an order for a quilt someone else wanted. Guess it would take the fun out of it for me.