Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Helen S

After much reading on this forum and other places online, and lots of test-stitching, I've used invisible thread once so far...on the first quilt I made a few months ago and finished quilting a week or two ago. I did SID on it, not stippling. Here's MY take on the stuff...

I used regular thread in the bobbin, used a cone-holder for the Sulky brand invisible thread since I read that it would help keep it from tangling, then put a "sock" over the spool before threading the machine, so the thread came up out of the "sock". (I had an old stocking and cut it to use for the sock). That helped the thread to come off the spool without unraveling from the spool and tangling.

I did some sample stitching to play with the tension to get it right and used a much lower tension number than for normal sewing, to keep the thread from stretching.

I also used a smaller needle. I tried a 70/10, but it had trouble going through the seams, so ended up using an 80/12. Once I tested the stitching and found it to my liking I made a note of the settings for future use and I was good to go.

My biggest complaint was mostly that it was difficult to SEE. Will I use it again? Probably only on wall quilts, etc, since I've read that you shouldn't put heat to anything you've used it on.

HTH...from a newbie! I'm sure you'll get many more responses from those who are more experienced at quilting.