View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 AM
burchquilts

Originally Posted by elizajo View Post
I have always slept under a quilt. Once the grandmother-made quilts were worn out, the first one I made was for my own bed. I only have time to make one large quilt a year, if I'm lucky. After I made a few gift quilts for family, I now need another new quilt for my bed! Lesson learned: don't waste time on complicated quilts that get heavy use.

I would love to have a rotating supply of quilts for each bed in our house. Maybe when I retire I'll have time for that and more gift and charity quilts.
As I read your post, I thought that was me talking. Growing up, I always slept under a quilt that either one of my Grandmother's or my Mother made. I don't think I could've slept under another kind of blanket back then. The quilts gave me such comfort (especially the scrappies that I could recognize fabrics in).

I also agree with not making complicated patterns. I personally just prefer simple designs (like 9-Patch) & with all the FABULOUS fabrics out there today, my thinking is to let it do the heavy lifting. I think every quilt should have one defining feature -- the pattern or the fabric or the quilting -- but not all 3. Plus, using the neat, simple patterns on the market nowadays (like Yellow Brick Road -- my favorite -- or Turning 20) lets you make more! And more is a good thing when it comes to quilts (& fabric & chocolate).

I, too, want to have a collection of quilts that I can swap out with the seasons/holidays. I actually even have fabric for some of them. Now just to find TIME & get my knee to cooperate!