Thread: Etsy??
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 02:34 PM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by Z Any Mouse View Post
This is all great advice, and I have considered setting up an Etsy site myself. The thing I am wondering about is getting in trouble from the copyrite police. What if the cute little bag you made up happens to have a small piece of fabric which may or may not have the "For Personal Use Only" tag on the selvedge that is long gone? Has anyone had issues with this on Etsy?
There are 191 pages of threads on the Etsy forums that have 'copyright' in the title, so it is often a topic of conversation. Their forums are open to the public, just click on the 'community' button in the very upper left corner, and search for yourself.

Items will be removed (without notification) if anyone claims copyright infringement. Etsy (like all other websites) is required to do that as part of the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and it's explained in their policies. The key word there is 'claims'...it does not have to be a legally defensible claim in order to have the item taken down. Etsy's job is to take it down, not determine who's right and who's wrong.