View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Kim Bohannon

Talking cute pincushion tute!

WARNING: THIS TUTE IS PICTURE HEAVEY!

Here is the flower pincushion tute that I promised to you a while back... sorry it took so long for me to get to it!
I used fat quarters, but you can use scraps! email me or post a reply to this tute if you want a copy of the pattern, I'll be happy to email it to you in PDF.

You need to make 2 copies of the pattern, print them onto freezer paper trimmed to fit in your printer. then cut the large circle out of one copy, all other pieces out of second copy. (print onto dull side off paper)

you should have all these:

iron your pieces directly onto the fabir, shiny side of paper against fabric:

cut pices out... you need one larg circle, 2 smaller circle... you may wnat to cut one small circle to match your leaves.... I didn't do that on this one.... 10 flower petals, and 6 leaves (pattern says cut 4, but I like having 3 leaves on mine, so I cut 6) I also cut 5 flower petals out of felt to stifen the petals...
(one of my flower petals is blue... I ran out of pink, sorry)

layer your fabric flower petals right sides together, lay a flet petal on top

sew around edge using apporximately 1/4 inch seam, sew your leaves 2-right sides together, sew 1/4 inch around edge... leave all bottom edges raw... it will be covered up later and you need to be able to turn them right side out

Now, turn all 5 petals and 3 leaves right side out, then top stitch around, gathering bottom edge first (top stitching is not required, but does look neater)

now you are ready to put your petals onto the big yo-yo... but first, it helps to have a yo-yo made! lol... let's make our big yo-yo... take your big circle, wrong side toward you... fold edge down apporx 1/4 inch, and take bit running stitches all the way around. Double your thread and tie a really big knot...
when you are finished sewing all the way around, pull your thread but not too tight.. you need to leave room to stuff it:

now stuff with your choice of pincushion stuffing, I used pollyester batting for pillows... stuff it firm, so your pins don't disappear down inside your cushion later, pull thread really tight, make crisscorssing stitches to hold it shut:
now you can pin your flower petals where you want them... if you make your 2 small yo-yo's first, you can test to see if they will completely cover the raw edges... I didn't bother with that step! lol

sew petals in place, this is one time when messy stitches are ok, they won't show! make sure you grab big yo-yo as you stitch, or they won't stay put.... ask me how I know this..
once you are done sewing the petals in place, pin your leaves down, and sew them on the same way
now you need your bottom small yo-yo... I made mine blue, but I think green would have looked better... if you want to add wieght to your cushion, insert a metal washer inside the small yo-yo before closing your circle... will help your flower sit properly (once again, a step I skipped)

pin in place and use small appliquet stitches to hold in place (this is my version of MESSY applique stitches)

now you can leave it as is, or add small yo-yo to top of flower... your choice... here you can compare:

FYI... if you want to use the top yo-yo... very easy to pin... just stick pins in... like so:

here is a close up of one that I didn't topstitch the petals and flowers... in case you don't want to do that
You're done! now you have a beautiful little flower to hold your pins and needles! Just don't sit on it... or you'll be sitting on pins and needles! hahahaha...

I hope you enjoyed this tute... Happy Sewing!

Here is my blog check it out! www.kimzquilts.blogspot.com