View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

I love this thread, and didn't read all the posts, and may have already put my two cents in, but even though I have a Featherweight, treadle, and Singer 66 electric, plus another vintage singer (turquoise) and a vintage Elnita, my "go to" machine is my Walmart Variety Brother - it sews through anything, will take any kind of thread, needle, plastic or metal bobbin, etc. It is about 10 years old and other than when the needle holder fell off, has never been to the shop. They say it doesn't need to be oiled, but every once in a while I take the cover off and put a drop or two of sewing machine oil on the moving parts. I also clean it regularly. I am guessing there must be the dreaded plastic in there somewhere, but I can't see it. I also have two other basic Brothers, one at each of my sons' houses and they both sew like a charm. I can even do FMQ on the Brother. It is getting better with practice, but not because of the machine, but because of me. It always hurts my feelings a little (well, okay, a lot) when people say "Stay away from the Walmart variety Brothers". I am glad we can all have the machines we want and like. I want and like my dinky mechanical Brother. End of vent. Thanks for listening!!!!