View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
dmackey

I love Cheater cloths! I always buy them when I see patterns I like to make a super quick quilt, usually for a charity.

I make sure I buy two yards, then I get at least two coordinating fabrics and use those for borders. I can whip up a twin sized or over sized lap quilt in no time.

I actually made one this week. Walmart had a gorgeous autumn jewel toned cheater cloth with metallic highlights, in a series of squares and rectangles, and there were two coordinates! I bought six yards of the cheater cloth, and 2 1/2 of the coordinates. I cut the cheater into two yard lenghts, added three 3' borders and was done in an hour and it is really beautiful. I quilted it at my LQS on an HQ16, which took about two hours. A stunning three hour quilt works for me! The cost to make this quilt was about $30 total, including batting and backing (great sales at Joanns) It will be raffled off this week at a cancer benefit.

One thing to be very careful of when using cheater cloths. The way the fabric is put on the machine that actually prints it, can make the grain of the fabric uneven, and then the printing of the fabric becomes slanted. This is where rippng to find the grain can be important to make sure the design is straight. If you discover it is causing the print to go off a bit, it might be best to make blocks and use sashing between them to avoid using the area of misprint. Sometimes you can work the fabric to make it 'look' straighter, but not always.

Thanks for all the links everyone provided. Looks like I'll be adding quite a few to my stash.

Diane