Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 PM
NanaCsews2

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I'm a complete weird-o fanatic about this. When I learned to quilt, my teacher insisted our backs looked as good as the front (her thinking being that if the back was all in order, the front would reflect that). I was also taught to press my seams open & I do. Plus I press every seam as soon as I sew it (no finger pressing for me). I rarely have my seams flip. I mean, it may seem like a lot of extra work to do it like I do but I think it pays off. Just my opinion...
I could have written this post! Must be in the 'county water' (I live just south of burchquilts) to be a little 'anal' about our quilting. I could probably count on one hand the # of times my seams have twisted. I never realized this was so common. I use a stiletto when needed. I press with an iron to set every single seam and then open to the correct side (some blocks make a huge difference which way it is pressed. Not always toward the dark.) and press again. This is one of the first lessons I learned years ago when I started making blocks. Always use a small dry iron to press the stitches, then press open. I also press all my foundation seams. Nice, crisp seams. Makes a difference I think on how the blocks end up looking when all done. I starch only the fabrics that have been washed first. When I have 2 seams meeting for points, I pin at a 45 degree angle from the right side to the left, then pin straight across that pin starting on the left going to the right. I will re-iron a seam if 2 seams were in the same direction, so they end up facing opposite directions. Butt them up tight and pin. If my points were 1 stitch off from being exact, I will rip out as much needed to get it back on track. I think I see too much since I started wearing glasses to sew.