View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Alice Woodhull

My secret for hand quilting: quilt in a floor frame. That way you have two hands to control your quilting. One is on top and on on the bottom. I use Mountain Mist Quilt Lite. It is so easy to quilt through. Just like melted butter, as one old timer calls it. I was having trouble on my last one. it was one for a friend whose mother had pieced the blocks years ago. She hadused a very tightly-woven fabric that was hard to needle. Then I used a white backing that was a poor choice. It looked like the design had been painted on and when I hit one of those I couldn't get the needle through. i finally gave up on it and took it to my long-arm quilter and she is going to resurrect it for me. I took out all the stitches I had already put into it. I like a light-weight backing, plain if possible to show up the design and stitches. I had a wonderful compliment from one of my best friends when she asked me for some of my hand quilting to have as a remembrance of me. I found a piece at Paducah one year that wasalready printed so all I had to do was quilt it and wash out the blue lines. I gave it to her this week and she is going to have it professionally framed to hang on her wall. Made me feel special. I will admit that my stitches aren't as good as they used to be, but not bad.