View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 AM
lonestardreams

Originally Posted by missionmom View Post
I guess I'm the only one on this thread that doesn't think this is at all funny. I'm the mom to a child who has special needs. I can tell you first hand that there is nothing funny about it. What exactly is it about this story that makes anyone want to share it? The fact that a kid mixed up the word retired with retarded? It's so unbelievable that people are laughing away and sharing this, while vulnerable people are asking you to stop using a word that hurts them. Don't any of you have the courage to speak out? Just seems really wrong and I'm surprised to see it here of all places.
I'm not sure what to post. I didn't find the original post very funny but just chalked it up to a difference of opinion. I worked with special needs children and adults for many years and consider it a privilege to have done this.

Children do say very funny things and I will never forget some of the things my own children said when they were little. Still, I knew that someone would be hurt by the original post and I sincerely hope that no one is hurt by my feeling that the post was not funny. There is just no way that everyone will agree with either side.

What I did find funny is that SueDor states that she found out that Texans can't say the right word.

Now that made me laugh y'all!