View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 AM
MarthaT

I really like a frame where you can stretch the whole quilt out and not have to baste. But you can stand it on quilt stands and not have to hang it from the ceiling. I can email pictures to you if you like. Batting makes a huge difference. I always use poly. I tried cotton and it's just way harder to get them small. My stitches were probably 3 times bigger with cotton batting. But if you keep the stitches even, it's still nice looking. Even your fabric choice can make a difference. Some fabrics just quilt easier. I never starch my fabrics when piecing. I wonder if starch makes it harder to quilt? Tension of the hoop or frame makes a huge difference too. I love my floor frame with the C-clamps holding it in place. The slightest adjustment to the tension makes all the difference in the world in making it easier to quilt and make nice stitches. Find the smallest needle that works for you, at least a 9 or smaller. I like a 10, it's stiff enough to not bend easily, but tiny enough to make nice stitches. The big thing is just EXPERIENCE...don't give up!