View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 AM
DebbE

How wonderful! From experience of completely renovating our kitchen (from the ground up), don't buy cabinets until you have the room built -- you need to 'feel' the room and let ideas germinate before buying. We didn't hire a company to design our cabinets, we did it ourselves, after much thought, magazine/online scouring for ideas, etc. I measured to be sure I had dimensions right, figured out 'what' needs to go 'where' for the best traffic pattern, and then went & ordered exactly what I wanted. We installed everything ourselves. I used every inch of space possible, and I absolutely love it. Did the same with the quilt room, although I took the old kitchen cabinets and re-used those there, all painted white. Perfect at that height, plus got laminate counters to top the cabinets, and installed mini flood lights (from Ikea) from the wall cabinets shining down to the counter....love, love my light. Opposite wall got an entire wall of white laminate bookshelves with glass doors installed, for books, magazines and tons of folded fabrics. The doors keep the fabrics clean and tidy. You'll need a big design wall, and an area for a tv/dvd set up so you can watch while quilting, (with a comfy chair/table). Set up the closet area with organizers as you'll need it. My hubby built shelving between the base cabinets to store plastic totes for various scraps, patterns, projects and I skirted the front of it (with velcro on skirting so its washable), so its always tidy looking. I put pegboard up behind the door to hang all the various quilt stencils, rulers, extra mats, etc. Please be sure to show us pictures - can't wait to see what you do with your new space!