View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM
BellaBoo
Power Poster

I sold all the rag quilts I made until I was tired of making them. I made them from homespun fabric which is not expensive and rags the best. I kept each quilt in the same color family and they sold fast by word of mouth. I sold a double bed size for $75. I bought the fabric by the bolt at a fabric warehouse. I think it was about $1.50 yard if bought on the bolt. It was nice homespun not the really thin stuff. I could make one in a day and I used the rag die for the Go. My DD took one I made her to her job and came home with 18 prepaid orders in that one day. I would never try to sale quilts that took me more then a day to make and get what the quilt was worth. I didn't have a deadline for the quilts. I made about four a week. All I had to do was sew the blocks, the die cut the fabric and batting. I made the Santa and Christmas rag quilt throws and sold them for $100. I got tired of making these quilts and stopped. I had a fabric budget to last a very long time after that. The key is to find an easy pattern that catches the eye, the right tools to make the quilt not tedious, and buy fabric in bulk and get the product seen at workplaces of busy working women. Hospital staff is a great place.