View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ruthrings View Post
I adore these, but I have a question. I know when I did a kaleidoscope quilt, it took a lot of fabric to find six repetitions of the pattern. So these have TEN repetitions of the fabric. Are they scraps from a really big quilt that you did? Also what do you use for batting that is safe for potholders?
Well the secret to not wasting the fabric is to do as many DKs as you can find room for on the fabric. When I get done using a yard of fabric yes you will have some waste. It is a fussy cut after all. But at the end I have very little left over if I use all the space I can fit a template on. I also use a small template and make a 4" size and that will use up all the little spots that are left.

You can also use any leftovers in a crazy quilt. If you are willing to think outside the box you can use almost every bit of that yard of fabric.

I mostly use what I want to use and then set the leftover fabric back on my shelf until the next time I am in the mood to work on these. I see it as resource that I can draw on if I want to use it for something.