View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

I can't go into too much detail because I do have an ebook out on this and will get in trouble if I use anything out of it here. But I can say for the repeats you can usually find 3 to 6 repeats in a quarter yard. So if you buy a yard of fabric you should be able to get 10 repeats easily. Out of that yard you probably will be able to get 6 or so full size dresden kaleidsocopes and several smaller ones if you like. So even tho it sounds like you are wasting you really aren't. It will all go to good use.

I guess look at it this way. If you saw 6 or 8 Dresden Kaleidoscopes for sale already made would you be willing to pay an average of $10 to $12 for them? If you have put that much into your yard of fabric then the 6 or so DKs are worth the price you paid. Even if you do have some waste. I usually get my fabric for around $7 to $9 per yard so the cost is not an issue for me. If I have leftovers I just use them later or put them in a crazy quilt project.

I know most of you are concerned with not having any waste leftover. I don't consider leftovers a waste just an opportunity to have resource for another project