Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
Default Awwww.... they're not selling it in the US!

Last night I went on Northcott's site to see what new fabrics they are coming out with, and they have a wonderful Stonehenge group with Canadian motifs (maple leaf, moose)... and they are NOT selling it to stores in the US.

Though they did say that if I drive across into Ontario they will sell it to me. And I *was* looking for another reason to spend a couple of days in Toronto (lovely city that it is).

But... the wholesale cost is about 25% more than if I were buying one of their similar fabrics in the US. So I'm not sure I really want to go on this buying trip.

Northcott tells me that the price difference is due to taxes and duty, plus additional transportation costs.

Any Canadians on the forum that know more about this? I'm always curious as to how international commerce works, and what things cost in various places in the world.

I should also mention that the reason they are not selling this to stores in the US is that this is after all a Canadian collection, and if they were selling to the US (at regular US prices) then the US stores would have an unfair advantage over the Canadian stores. And this is completely understandable. Disappointed though I am, if Northcott did not take this policy all the Canadian shops would be terribly upset with them!
Attached Thumbnails ohcanadabanner.jpg