View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
suzanprincess

Default Treadle for $350--good deal or bad?

I have to decide pretty quickly whether I want to pay the $350 price for a Singer treadle, make an offer on her, or pass altogether, and I'm in the dark on value, so of course thought to come here and ask for help. That's quite a bit more than I was hoping to pay; I was unaware of her intended visit to repair shop until after the fact, which was after I said I was interested in purchasing.

Serial # G3559409. Decals are quite worn, head otherwise in good condition, and just came back from repair shop with "everything working," which cost current caretaker $100. (Same shop I've used for 40 years, trustworthy, but also the place I'd planned to purchase a different treadle if there was a different cabinet available, the one in shop having been refinished with that ugly walnut stain used in school woodshop because it's cheap; I'm guessing the owner there told seller that he would price it at $350.)

The pretty, medium oak cabinet has some carvings on the sides, wood is in great condition, don't know whether metal parts need cleaning up or not. Manual, feet and some bobbins are included. The machine was acquired by caretaker/seller's son when his mother-in -law died.