View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM
DogHouseMom

"You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Bang on ... Chicago here.

I took exception to question #8 - the difference between "Mary", "Merry", and "Marry". The choices were, all different, all same, or "Mary and Merry are the same but Marry is different".

Ummmm .... Mary and Marry are the same, but Merry is different. (Merry is pronounced like "Berry", Mary and Marry are pronounced like "Airy"). Am I the only one???

I need to have my English husband take it next. He's been in the states so long his accent has changed considerably. When he goes home to England a few shop keepers were surprised when he told them he was English. I would place his accent somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean!!

OK ... English husband and I had only 1 answer different (pronunciation of horrible) and it placed him in the North East. He thought that was insulting. Well dear .... London was not one of the answers!

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 04-28-2012 at 06:52 PM.