View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 AM
earthwalker
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
quilts appraised by AQS certified appraisers generally receive an (Insurance appraisal)---not a market price appraisal- and the appraisal clearly states it is for insurance purposes- not for re-sale. I've had a number of quilts appraised- and passed the appraisal on with the quilt in a few occassions- my daughter's wedding quilt being one of them- we did not look at it as leaving the price tag on---it has nothing to do with a price-
it has to do with having accurate documentation so if something should happen (the house burns down) there is a record of the value of the quilt for the insurance company- without an appraisal an insurance company is not going to give you the value of a quilt- only replacement costs of going to the local retailer & replacing bedding.
i have sold a couple quilts that also have appraisals with them- the selling price was no where near the appraisal value---again- an appraisal is not a market value-it's an insurance value. getting an appraisal is nothing like...Antiques Road Show
I agree with this statement. As well as quilting, I have a keen interest in Antiques and Collectables. We purchased a stunning and rare piece of retro Art Glass on the occasion of the engagement of my eldest stepson (he and his now bride have their own building and design company). We included an insurance valuation......which they appreciated greatly.