View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 AM
charity-crafter

Default cutting or starting phobia

I have a wonderful stash of fabric. I like to fold it, re-arrange it and pet it. But when it comes to actually making something from my stash I can't seem to give myself permission to actually use my fabric.

My excuses:
-It's a nice big piece- I can use it for backing,
-Then when I'm looking for backing it's too good for backing.
-It's not big enough for what I need and then I have to find a 2nd and 3rd piece that matches
-But it's too pretty to use in a charity quilt, I want to make something for myself from that fabric-yet never do because it's not big enough.

I stand in front of my stash thinking I should do something and can't find matching fabrics or have too many choices and get a brain freeze then go back to sewing crumbs because it's stress free sewing.

I need to get over my cutting phobia and actually use my stash!

In my charity quilting group, for the long time members who are good at producing quilt tops-they've started handing out bundles of coordinating fabrics to make quilts. This should make it easier to work with but I'm still frozen. I pull the bundles apart and can't decide what to do...it's all so annoying. Then I go back to sewing crumbs to unfreeze my brain.

But I'll sew scraps together randomly, from bags I receive from my fellow quilters. I've made 100's of crumb blocks and scrappy 4 patches, 9 patches, rail fences. I can really get behind scrappy quilts.

For now, I use my larger pieces to make sashing and borders for my scrappy quilts. I'd like to make an actually planned quilt with only 2-3 colors.

It's like if it's still uncut there is potential to be something wonderful...and once I cut it, I can really make a mess if I'm not careful...what if the colors don't go together well? Or something like that.

Any one else have this problem? What do you do?