Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

First of all a huge hip hip hooray for this Canadian line of fabric!

I'm excited to see that it's soon to come and even more so, because with it being Northcott/Stonehenge we already know that it'll be a quality fabric. I will confess, I am a little disappointed that it is a cream, not white, being that our flag is white! Though I'll quickly look past that knowing that it'll be a quality fabric.

To put things into perspective ... I'm sure there's been many times that fabric lines have been made only for the USA market, unavailable to we Canadians and others around the world. So what's wrong with this being exclusive to Canada? Besides, the red maple leaf is representative of Canada, so again, I ask, why not?

Additionally, I noted it's tag re QOV Canada. I'm sure this is a first!! And on reading the background story on the QOV site, I see that a portion of the sales will go to QOV Canada. Hurrah for all, and the support to QOV-Ca!! I'm sure we'll see more awareness to this group as a result of this fabric line, with challenges to donate a completed project.

You mentioned 25% more at wholesale ... As GingerK mentioned, our fabrics are generally more costly here, than for you in the USA, so chances are the price difference is no different than normal. Specialty lines are often at a further higher price, which could be part of the equation too. I'm sure that often is the case in the USA as well. It'll be interesting to see what the retail price for us will be.

ITA with MaryK that it'd be nice to see more Canadian themed fabrics including our native heritage. However, with the smaller population and then narrowed further by the fewer quilters/sewers and the small fabric/garment/sewing industry, and then narrowed again by those interested in using such fabrics, I think we can easily see why these don't appear. And if/when they do, because of the shorter runs, that the prices would become higher than many realistically would pay. Compound that by the ability to get imported products for considerably lower prices, due to mass production and significantly lower wages.

I won't get into the cross-border discussion as IMHO it comes close to the no-no re discussing religion and politics!!

As for me ... I'm sending an email off to my LQS to see if she has ordered this line, and asking if she'll accept my pre-order!