Old 04-29-2012, 02:54 PM
coffeebreak

Default Wedding dress into a quilt...suggestions please!

I have been hauling my wedding dress around for nearly 35 years now...over 29 moves! It is a southern style, long lace sleeve and regular neckline, with a hoop skirt. Fabric is..don't really know but it is a solid skirt, bit on the stiffer side with a maybe tulle like (softer) over skirt which also is the large ruffle that goes around the bottom of the skirt.

Anyway, My daughter didn't want to wear it, and I doubt my grand daughters will want to wear "that old thing", pretty as it is, but I keep telling myself that i want to do something with it, but need help!

I was in the beginning going to cut the skirt off and make it into a nice formal skirt but that never happened. Now...what about a quilt? Anyone got any ideas of how to use this type of fabric in a quilt? I have never worked with this kind of thin, lacy, satin-y kind of fabric. The bodice is all lace.

I don't figure it'd be good enough or enough yardage to use just the fab from the dress for a full quilt, so I'd have to make it the accent fabric. It is white and I just dont' want an all white quilt either! But I want a quilt that is usable. I am past the days of making things "for company" or "just for nice"...those things never happened and I am now in my twilight days, using all that stuff for myself...I think I am special and company enough! Okay, so I'm not that old, but still.. I want to use the quillt even if it is just at the tv!

And suggestions, tips, videos etc on some ideas to incorporate it into a pretty, usable, but nice quilt?